Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Salisbury Part 1 or so

Now, everyone knows I'm completely allergic to doing things in any kind of order unless it's shoved down my throat.  Sooooo....I'm going to focus on Salisbury first.

Mostly because I can.  Heh...

First things first.  Some piccies (bet you thought I was going to do a history lesson.  Not yet - I'll sneak one in sort of sideways when you're lookin' at the piccies.)







Okey dokey!  The pictures above are a fair to middling cross section of the kind of picture I take when jet lagged.  No, not really.  Ignore me.  I'm really this wobbly in the picture making department ALL the time!!!!

The chimney pots (no, not chamber pots - I heard that!) fascinate me.  They come in all shapes and sizes and make the rooflines of places really interesting.  The other buildings are old, although I think (Chris, correct me if I'm wrong) that Nugg's 1268 is the most elderly.

And, as recently as the end of the twentieth century, no one really knew how old the building was!  It was only when a renovation was begun  and layers of exterior (and, I think, interior) plaster were peeled away that the age of the building became more obvious. 

As soon as it was clear that the renovators were dealing with something of great age, work was stopped and a license applied for to declare the building a landmark.  At the same time, those who have the rare gift of being able to research such things began their dig through the records.  They are not allergic to dust, paper fibres or the prospect of spending weeks trying to decipher clerical handwriting.  Bless 'em all!

There were other clues as to the age of the building.  For example, note that the outside timbers are more grey than dark brown or black.  That's because, early on, when beams were sealed, they were sealed with lime. 

Remember, of course, that the building was added on to, its front door moved, and any number of other changes made to it over the centuries.  That's the nature of the beast (Don't ask how many updates were made to the house I grew up in just while I was living there!).  However, the building visitors see today (besides being a functional business) dates back to the 13th century. 

I have just spent an hour updating my pictures because I thought I had lost about half of them.  I hadn't, but I hadn't followed my usual protocol with pictures and back ups, so I have to go in and make things well again.

I'm going to close this portion of today's blog with some pretty flowers.  Salisbury keeps itself all beautiful with flowers and a rather unique Dragon.



1 comment: