Saturday, September 10, 2011

A little wander where I wandered once before

Hi!  On June 23, I posted a little wander that I had done over next to the Latta Road Wegmans.  I went back there yesterday (September 9) and took some more pictures.

I had really taken the June pictures on Jue 10th, so the two sets are 3 months apart.  This is going to be mostly pictures, but I wanted to put them out there to see the new decorations for fall that have sprung up there. 

Here we go!


As you can tell, it was a beautiful day!  Today was even better, but I'm glad I went out yesterday.  To orient you:  the store is off to the right.  This picture is of the stand of trees that walks along the whole skyline there.



This is from a lower angle and shows you the trees and the field (along with the clouds).



More clouds again, because it was a great day for 'em!


I know that sometimes fields like this look all hodgepodgy, and the impression someone might receive is that it's merely colorful chaos.  However, there's great beauty in the quiet little flowers that fill this corner of the lot.



I took this between the fence rails.  I don't know if I could get down and take a picture and then get back up without massive embarrassment.  Sooo, did some pretzeling and this is what I came up with!


The first thing I noticed was that some the plants seemed to have been domesticated at one point.  These look like brown eyed susans, but I'm not sure.  Remember, I have little to no knowlege of wild plant names.  It's something for me to put on the list to learn! 

What I DID see, however, was that yellow has a wide range of colors, all the way from almost white to rich orange.  And that a great many of those are right here in this picture.


Sometimes, in among small white and yellow flowers, rather large and red flowers with drooping petals and a large, raised center appear.  This is echinacia, or coneflower, which is currently domesticated.  The few echinacia I've seen on this property must have come from somewhere local. 



This is a thistle after the light purple petals have fallen.  This is one sticker-y plant, but it's also a study in brilliant design on nature's part.  We should become a little more aware of these types of plants, as they lend a sense of structure to an otherwise slightly confusing landscape.


I loved the two or three different flowers and the range of color .  The flowers with the darker red on petals are blanket flowers:  my thanks to Karen in the UK and Lisa here in Rochester for the update!  I appreciate it mucho! 



This is a close in shot not only of the flowers, but also the leaves and they way that add some depth to the picture. 


I think that this is another domesticated flower that found it hadn't forgot how to survive in this world. 


Even the birds are getting in one the fall cleanup.   The feather in the picture is from a sea-gull:  I found it snagged on the board and grabbed this shot.

There doesn't have to be a lot of color.  In fact, sometimes, the reliance on two shades of green plus a stem of straw can provide more interest to the casual watcher.


And there you have it - a very brief wander to a place I'd already been.  But sometimes that's the real heart of ths wandering stuff.  To see what happens when the world moves at mach 8, all except for one corner in a parking lot near a Wegman's. 

Have a great day!  More soonly and we'll got back to England, I promise!!!  Please have a most excellent time looking at the pictures!  And, if you want to compare, remember, the other pctures are on June23.

No comments:

Post a Comment