Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Yes, I AM Alive!!!!!

Well, I think so...owww - pinching myself was not an intelligent thing to do, but it hurt; therefore, I am!!!

I've done a lot of wandering over the past couple of months, and I still owe you more on the English trip and on Genesee Country.  I know, I know...but I am working at it!  I promise!

Today, because it's autumn heading rapidly toward winter, I thought I'd show some pictures from a short hop I took back from Bristol, CT.  The going to part was rainy and grey, so there weren't any pictures.  But the coming back part?  Much better.  AND part of the route is smack through the Berkshires!

All right, here we go.  First picture stop?  Winsted, CT.  (not to be confused with Winchester Twnshp, also in CT).  It was a very nice, slightly crisp fall morning...and we were ambling along CT 8 after staying the night in Torrington (which is also a town in Wyoming...)


This is the First Church of Winsted, CT.  It, like so many churches in New England and Northern New York, is made of granite.  This is the tower of the church.


This is the rest of the front facade of the church.  We were prevented from exploring the remainder of the side facades by a twelve foot tall hedge.  Solid as (oh bother, I'm going to say it.  I'm sorry) a rock, it's one of the old standby regiment of buildings in the town.



Here's one of the stained glass windows from the outside.  But mostly I wanted to show how solidly the granite has been dressed.  The mountains will outlast the building, I'm thinking, but not by much, and not easily.


Also on the side of the building (which, I suspect, may have been the front at some point) was this old friend of a picture, done in stained glass.   The inside view would be the detailed one we know.  From outside, we're seeing the back only.

Down at the end of the block from the church (i.e., pretty much right next door), we found a small old cemetery.  Now, before anyone gets their knickers in a knot, remember that we're walking through the cemetery with the idea of taking some pictures and not meaning any disrespect to those who are interred here.  I'm going to show you several pictures from this small last resting place.









The iron work shows a tree with a lamb resting beneath it.


This is a name that was, at one time, popular.  The lady in question passed away in 1855.



This is a general view of the cemetery.  Actuall, there's a bit more behind me.  And the trees mask a slight rise in the hill.





Here's a better idea of the hill. It's actually quite a gentle slope.


The gravestones are leaning forward for a couple of reasons, I think.  First, gravity is working on them.  Second, the topsoil is moving slowly down the hill.  


This shot was taken from the crest of the hill and looking down on the rest of the cemetery.  Those buried here would be shelted in the summer from the heat and in the winter from a lot of the rain.


This is a dilapated family plot, but it's still a quiet place, gradually subsiding into the earth as it is.

On the other side of the coin?  Lots of trees and some flowers below!


I think there are daisies as they're too large to be China Asters.  They were in the garden at the front of the church.

The trees have gradually lost their leaves in the cemetery, but their trunks are solid sculptures on their own!




I know, I know - Gayle, are you going to spend all DAY in one place?  Nope - I'm heading out to a really neat 13 mile sprint through the Berkshires.  Let's get back on the road...

.

Ooops, I forgot some berries I saw on the way in to the graveyard (I think...maybe?)


I don't know if you can see the tiny little white droplets.  I hope you can.  As one drives along any road cut through rock, there is always the chance of seeing a waterfall as underground water meets the air.  Or, if there is enough water on top of the cut, the chances are good that a waterfall will cascade.

This is just one section of the road; but it shows what I mean...


The water's a little more obvious here - as soon as the true cold weather hits, by the way, ice will begin to form and will continue to build all winter until the ground is cold enough to slow the trickles of water down.  I'll attempt to get pictures of that next spring before everything melts.


This third example shows a splash pool that's formed because the water is moving quickly enough that it doesn't have a chance to sink into the soil.  As an aside, if you squinch your eyes and peer closely, you can see how the rock on the right has been twisted on end by uplifting.  I should have taken more pictures of the bare rock!   EEEK
Needless to say, enough water and a rock face that collects the sun's heat behind them means that plants can take root.  This is, I think, a maple, although it could be a sycamore...The leaves are beautiful!

And because I'm an infant at heart and I wondered what the histogram chart in my computer was for, I played and found out that I could make something totally cool like this with just the flick of the indicator arrows!  How excellent!

Every time we turned around or a corner or a round corner?, there was the Farmington River.  It looped and bent and probably is along as the Amazon once it's straightened out.  I'll leave that for others to figure.

The river moves like water on a mission.  In fact, the day we were driving through, there was some sort of local kayaking event. Interesting sport, kayaking.  I'm much too faint of heart to try it!

(Stop laughing, right this minute!!!!)

Sooo, here are some pictures of a piece of the Farmington - somewhere in here, we crossed into Massachusetts...








I was taking these shots from a very old, very ready to fall apart little stopping spot.  The Monte C. is not a light weight car, so, after a couple more shots, we eased out back onto the highway.



I had to get some landward shots!   It's a ROOOLE!!!!

One shot of sky that was, for the moment, blue and gorgeous, and then I shall amble on my way.  I could have taken pictures all the way home, but the small, sane part of me prevailed and I didn't.

But at least I've shown you a bit of wandering outside my usual neck of the woods - I hope you enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment