Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Lake and the Park - a Post in a couple of Parts or Four

Hi, all!

It's I, that strange and unusual critter back again to cause you all agita.

For those of you who don't know, I live in Rochester, NY, just a smidgeon south of Lake Ontario.  It's the smallest of the Great Lakes - I've done the whole length, width and depth thing before, so I won't bore you with it again.

One of the things about the lake is its changeability.  And that, among other things, is what this post (or posts) is (or are) going to look at.

First, the lake having a really BAD temper tantrum.  These pictures were taken 2 weeks ago today off the pier in Charlotte (emphasis on the second syllable).  The wind was out of the North West and making everything unsettled.  To say the least.  I took my friend Crys (Hi!) up to see the storminess and these pictures resulted.


Here is Crys letting the wind snarl her hair (I think it blew so hard that it unsnarled it all over again!!!)

Kindly note the lovely grey tones in the picture.  Grey and muddy brown with some grey whitecaps were the colors for the day.


From a distance (well a short distance) these don't look like much, and, indeed, they're rollers heading for the wet and clingy sand on the beach.


More of the same, only closer.  Also, the pier is a fair distance above the water line - at this point, probably six feet.


To give you an idea of what you're looking at:  We are standing on the pier.  Directly to our right, and set between two breakwaters set (I'm terrible at guesstimates) probably 150 feet apart is an accessway to a marina on the edge of the lake.  We're looking at some really massive whitecaps rolling in toward shore at a tremendous rate.


Closer to the pier we're standing on, the water is having a field day.  White caps roll steadily in toward the land, and leave froth in their wake.  They aren't quiet.   And, at the size they are, they don't have to be nice!


 Out in the lake, near the horizon on your left, there floats a fishing boat belonging to some private individual with a death wish.  Are you KIDDING me?  No going out into this water!  Well,unless you're a rabid angler, I guess.



If you look off to the right of the picture and center on the crest at the edge of the image, then take a look at the trough of the wave closer to you, you'll have an idea of the size of these things.  It's a really strong system making the lake all choppy.


Some of the waves hit the beach and slap sand away as they tread in.  Others, on the other hand, do this:


AND THIS (NEXT PICTURE).




which happened at the end of the pier we were standing on.  (I took about a zillion pictures before I figured out how to focus ahead of the wave and take what my shot my might be.  I was moderately happy with this one, believe me!  :)

The end result of each wave, of course, is this:


Note to self - do NOT get that near a wave unless you want to get wet and risk the camera.

Now, along with the thunder and crashing of waves on water,I found at least one other perspective that was something I wasn't too embarrassed to share.  (I am SO not a good picture taker!)


And there it is, a stormy day on Lake Ontario.  It can be a good deal worse:  this is one lake that demands respect.  I hope you liked the piccies!

No comments:

Post a Comment